NTP Pool (was Re: Draft Stratum 1 Microserver HOWTO is up)

Clark B. Wierda cbwierda at gmail.com
Fri May 20 17:56:00 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> [pool limit of 100 ms]
>
> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > That's weird.  Why would they have a precision requirement *above*
> RFC5905's
> > "A few tens of milliseconds"?  You'd think they'd want it to be below
> that.
>
> If you want time in the range of 10s of ms, you need to select the servers
> you use.  With something like the pool, you are likely to get a server on
> the other side of the country with associated routing quirks.
>
> I think the goal of the pool project has always been good-enough rather
> than great accuracy.  100 seems like a reasonable cutoff point to me.  What
> did you have in mind?
>
> Another consideration is that there is only one monitoring station.
>

>From reading their documentation, they monitor the pool candidates and
report on their merit.  The availability of the metrics could be better,
but they are trying to ensure a minimum.  Their goal is related to
human-scale time.  Also, I think their focus is spreading the load.

BTW, I was getting within 5ms using generic ublox-7 puck (no PPS) on an old
laptop. USB PPS (GR-601W) was reliably under 1ms.

Clark