I can haz Navisys GPS USB pucks, gr601w and gr701w

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun May 15 02:29:59 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Sat, 14 May 2016 18:08:42 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > I like the PR aspect.  Does NTPsec advertise itself in any way over
> > NTP protocol?  Like a version number or something?
>
> In general, exposing version info is considered a security risk.

Some think that.  The logic goes that people will scan your host, see
what version you are running, then run the exploit.  I have never seen
a hacker do that.  They just spray all their exploits at everything and
see wwhat sticks.

This is prolly a consequence of distros lying about their versions, or
backporting 'security' patches.

I prefer to leave my versions in the open, then when I do a an
automated security scan it tells me when I need to update.

As long as the user has a choice.

> If the ntpq stuff isn't restricted with noquery, you can get the
> version string with:
>   /usr/local/sbin/ntpq -c "rv 0 version" $SERVER

Hmm, maybe this should say ntpsec, instead of ntpd:

catbert:/etc/fail2ban# ntpq -c "rv 0 version"  pi2
version="ntpd 0.9.3-5fd5d82 May 14 2016 13:13:35"

And chronyd does nothing in response:

catbert:/etc/fail2ban# ntpq -c "rv 0 version"  dagwood
dagwood.rellim.com: timed out, nothing received