systemd

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue May 10 16:17:07 UTC 2016

> Another worm for the collection...
>
> When starting ntpd, sometimes you want to run a script to tweak things, like
> change the baud rate or enable/disable some sentences or setup /dev/pps0.  In
> the old world, you could put code in /etc/sysconfig/ntpd and it would get
> run.  systemd doesn't run that file, just scans it for XXXX="foo" type
> constructs.
>
> I don't have an answer for this.  If anybody finds a clean solution, please
> let me/us know.
>
> I've been starting ntpd from /etc/rc.local

The answer: install System V-style init scripts - systemd will detect these
at boot time and execute them.  If your startup script evaluates
/etc/sysconfig/ntpd that will happen.

Bernd Zeimetz posted this link, which explains all:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/233468/how-does-systemd-use-etc-init-d-scripts