Raspberry Pi NTP config with fudge factors

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon May 9 22:14:23 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Mon, 9 May 2016 17:59:46 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Frank Nicholas <frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com>:
> > This is the “/etc/ntp.conf” I used when I ran my NTP server on a
> > Raspberry Pi with the Adafruit breakout board (same as current
> > hat).  I list it because of the “fudge” line.  This was commonly
> > accepted as the proper fudge settings, especially for time2 -
> > 0.350:
>
> How do we know this will be correct for the HAT? Is that fudge really
> associated with the MTK3339 itself, independent of surrounding
> hardware?

I'm working on this right now, before I share any results I'd like to
get a copy of the latest RasPi Timeserver howto, with the #20 setup
intructions.

As I showed in bug #57 the refclock #46 NMEA fudge in the undocumented mode
is not working as expected.

ohttps://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/issues/57

> > server tock.usshc.com iburst
> > server clock.isc.org iburst
> > server tick.apple.com iburst
>
> What is special about these servers?

Well known public stratum 1 with seriously good network connections
and publicaly monitored.  Unlike a lot of the junk in the pools.

You should go here and pick some good one near you:

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumOneTimeServers

You are pretty clode to udel, you should be using that one for sure:

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/PublicTimeServer000290

rackety.udel.edu  :  128.4.1.1

Probably also NIST in MD:

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/PublicTimeServer000277

time-a.nist.gov :  129.6.15.28

Politeness says you shuold only have one of you chimers polling those.