QNX (was: Re: Raspberry Pi NTP config with fudge factors

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri May 6 19:39:35 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Fri, 6 May 2016 15:28:40 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> > I'm busy today, but I'll run some tests later to verify that is the
> > current behavior.  At a minimum #2 makes it very hhard to see the
> > NMEA time and fix a good offset.
>
> Please do that.

On my short list.

> QNX is firmly out of scope.  We'll handle it later if there is demand
> and resources backing the demand.

Fair enough.

> We *will* assume POSIX-compliant shared memory on our target systems.

QNX has POSIX compliant shared memory, just the new one, not the old one.

What about Windows?

#48 does not have to work that way, it is just default configured that
way.  If the #48 defaults are changed to sane one, and some testing, I
would say it is would then be preferred over #28.

For example, TAI to UTC offset is in the JSON stream (currently unused).
Adding TAI offset to SHM would be a major incompatible change.

And we can assume evvery stack has a TCP stack, so no compatibility
issues anywhere.

> The HOWTO will be rewritten to use a stripped gpsd-lite version
> feeding SHM.

Works for me,  but maybe not PC...

> Thanks for bashing your way through this, Frank and Gary.  You've
> clarified several murky issues.

And more to come...  It also helps when someone acts on the knowledge.