on the NTP security issues and fixes

Daniel Franke dfoxfranke at gmail.com
Fri May 6 19:34:29 UTC 2016

On 5/6/16, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:
>> Do we have to live with long convergence times?  Do you have any
>> theory about what causes this and how it can be fixed?
>
> I have not gone deep into the PLL, grouping, and selection layers.
> Daniel Franke's talk at Penguicon leads me to believe he is starting to
> see these issues.

Depends what you mean by "see". In the literal, empirical sense, no, I
haven't observed ntpd performance closely enough to possibly notice
this. But I think I understand from first principles why it happens,
and I'm researching Bayesian approaches to clock synchronization that
I think will improve both speed-of-convergence and asymptotic
precision.