on the NTP security issues and fixes

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri May 6 19:25:35 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 06 May 2016 12:08:14 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > But, more important things to do.  Old teclo rule of thumb: fix
> > bugs first, then add features.  Maybe fix #48.
>
> It's too late of "fix" #48.

Why?  Worst case we renumber it #49 and fix it.  If people start using
it the support will be a PITA.

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > Plus the socket is extensible, whereas the SHM is currently very
> > twitchy, any change and binaries no longer work together.
>
> I don't see any first-order differences between sockets and SHM.
> There is spare space in SHM so we could add stuff.  In either case,
> if I change critical things it will break.

SHM is fixed space, that is why it is so twitchy about compilers.  No
versioning, deprecated by POSIX, etc.

But if all we can agree is to make a #49 that works, that would be the
most portable and flexible thing.