New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO

Frank Nicholas frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com
Thu May 5 20:30:02 UTC 2016

> On May 5, 2016, at 3:45 PM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
>
> Frank <frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com>:
>> dhcpcd will “merge” DHCP supplied NTP servers at the bottom of a ntp.conf.  This has not caused me any issues (on Gentoo).  NTP generally does the “right” things and uses all the NTP servers in the config & will decide the local server, with PPS is the best.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this comment. Are you saying that a dhcpd hpook
> modifies /etc/ntp.conf?
> --

Correct - it adds the DHCP supplied NTP servers to the bottom of the existing “/etc/ntp.conf” file (surrounded by comments).

NTP (on my systems) functions ok & will just use the additional NTP servers.  It will decide that the local server (GPS w/PPS) is the best & use it.  No harm done.

Thanks,
Frank