[gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu May 5 17:08:51 UTC 2016

Yo Frank!

On Thu, 5 May 2016 12:51:04 -0400
Frank <frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com> wrote:

> For root commands, instead of sudo bash, maybe just preface sudo
> before each command - this is how most Pi/Distro’s I’ve seen do it

Yeah, and it is a PITA.  Much more to type, lulls the user into thinking
he is improving ecurity when he is making it worse.  Environment and
cwd changes do not stick.  That # in your face should be a reminder you
gotta be triple careful.

> For adding group changes, why not use `usermod`.  Users editing
> config files are more prone to messing them up, than letting the
> utilities make the changes.

Good point.

> Is “Wait for Network at Boot” really required?  On my Gentoo Pi's
> with dhcpcd, it will background wait indefinitely (maybe my Gentoo
> configuration setting) , and will grab an IP when a cable is
> connected.

> Regarding updating and installing pieces - do all SBC’s use Debian
> based “apt”?

Nope, many people run Gentoo on the Pi.  Gentoo uses portage.

> “force_turbo=1” forces the Pi to run at maximum clock speed all the
> time.  This generates heat & increased power consumption.  If
> constant/max clock speed is desired (for NTP constancy?), keep this.
> If power/heat are a concern, remove this.

I think that is needed because the serial port speed is tied to the clock
speed.  Let the CPU slumber and the serial port speed goes crazy.

> You’re using Reference Clock 20 & 22.  NTPSec docs state Reference
> Clock 20 has been removed (redundant to GPSd).  Please tell me 20
> (NMEA) is still there!  That’s been a concern of mine since reading
> the NTPSec docs.

As of last night, here are the NTPsec refclocks:

ID    Description
~~    ~~~~~~~~~~~
1     Undisciplined Local Clock
4     Spectracom WWVB/GPS Receivers
5     TrueTime GPS/GOES/OMEGA Receivers
6     IRIG Audio Decoder
7     Radio CHU Audio Demodulator/Decoder
8     Generic Reference Driver (Parse)
9     Magnavox MX4200 GPS Receiver
10    Austron 2200A/2201A GPS Receivers
11    Arbiter 1088A/B GPS Receiver
18    NIST/USNO/PTB Modem Time Services
20    Generic NMEA GPS Receiver
22    PPS Clock Discipline
26    Hewlett Packard 58503A GPS Receiver
27    Arcron MSF Receiver
28    Shared Memory Driver
29    Trimble Navigation Palisade GPS
30    Motorola UT Oncore GPS
31    Rockwell Jupiter GPS
33    Dumb Clock
35    Conrad Parallel Port Radio Clock
38    hopf GPS/DCF77 6021/komp for Serial Line
39    hopf GPS/DCF77 6039 for PCI-Bus
40    JJY Receivers
42    Zyfer GPStarplus Receiver
44    NeoClock4X - DCF77 / TDF serial line
45    Spectracom TSYNC
46    GPSD NG client protocol
'configure' finished successfully (0.150s)

I suggest avoiding #46.