RaspbPi HOWTO

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed May 4 17:59:52 UTC 2016

Mike <bellyacres at gmail.com>:
> With the references here to having a gui, does this imply NOOBS?  I started
> with the
> latest image from here https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
> specifically Rasbian Jessie Lite.  Console only already, just dd to a card
> and boot...

NOOBS was the intention.  I like the idea of using Jessie Lite; I'll try
doing that.

> >=== Configure the 1PPS GPIO pin ==
> >In all versions, you force the driver to be loaded by
> >editing /etc/modules to contain the line "pps-gpio"
> >footnote[Alternatively, you can build your own kernel with pps-gpio
> >hardwired in.].
> With recent changes in overlays I have found that one doesn't need
> to modify /etc/modules.  The module will be loaded if the overlay is
> written well.  This works for other devices also.  Forcing it with
> the addition to /etc/modules doesn't appear to change anything, just
> another change for someone to screw up.  Finger pointing back at me!

I'll try doing an install without modifying /etc/modules

> ># apt-get install libreadline-dev asciidoc
> asciidoc pulls in a shit ton of dependancies!  500+ Mb that filled /
> and caused me some hair pulling.  Docs are online :)  I am using a smaller
> SD card than recommended above though.

I'll try an installation without pulling that in.

> >KERNEL=="ttyAMA0", SYMLINK+="gps0"
> >KERNEL=="pps0", OWNER="root", GROUP="tty", MODE="0660", SYMLINK+="gpspps0"
> I have the above, just question tty as group.  I'm running ntpd as ntp:ntp.
> Guessing things works as nptd gets the pps device before dropping
> permissions.

Right, ntpd has root at that time.

> >According to <<NEVILL>>, "[dhcpcd5] has a nasty habit of interfering where
> >it's not wanted. Specifically, in this instance, if your DHCP server
> >specifies an NTP server, it will start ntpd with its own version of
> >ntp.conf."
> #dpkg --purge dhcpcd5
> mike at ticker:/var/log $ cat /etc/rpi-issue
> Raspberry Pi reference 2016-03-18
> Generated using Pi-gen, https://github.com/RPi-Distro/Pi-gen, stage2
>
> With this release I did find before I purged dhcpcd5 that it ignores
> /etc/networks/interfaces.
> After a bit a digging turns out you need to modify /etc/dhcpcd.conf to add
> static entries.

Yeah, at this point I'm no longer removing dhcpcd5, but I am removing the
script thst causes it to call ntpd.

> ># Drift file etc.
> >driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
> The drift file location from example configs in the src pulled from git bit
> me.
> Most of them reference /etc/ntp.drift which DOES NOT work when running as
> ntp:ntp...

I'm not sure what change, or what warning, you're recommending here.

> I've tried to figure out just how one determines exactly which edge is being
> seen.
> I'm at a loss on this one with software.  Using ppstest shows me atypical
> output
> from nearly every example I'm seen online.  What is the definetive way to
> determine this?

The person to ask about this is Gary Miller on the GPSD list.