Reference clocks.

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed May 4 03:33:01 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 3 May 2016 23:21:02 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> > Yo Mark!
> >
> > On Tue, 03 May 2016 21:31:10 +0000
> > Mark Atwood <fallenpegasus at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In a few weeks I will have a crate of the Navisys units.  They do
> > > PPS over USB serial.
> >
> > I'd like one of the GR-701W for testing.
>
> So would I.  I don't expect it to be signbificantly different from the
> 601 for our purposes, but it never hurts to be sure.

Not so different for NTPsec, but it is for gpsd.  Those other sat
flavors mean the NMEA gets tortured to support them.  Exposing many
'opporunities' to improve gpsd.

> > I notice navisys.com now has a GR-801W, with uBlox 8.  72 channels
> > with GPS & QZSS (L1), GLONASS, BEIDOU, WAAS, EGNOS, and MSAS.
>
> Nice.  Is this what you're getting, Mark?

You would likely not see BeiDou on the east coast.  I see a few of those
birds on occasion.

I've been told the timekeeping on the GLONASS is sub-par.  Some even suggest
turning off GLONASS for better accuracy.  Would be interestnig to find out.

In Central Oregon we get GPS outages due to testing in Nevada.  So the
different wavelength of GLONASS is a plus.