RaspbPi HOWTO

Frank Nicholas frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com
Tue May 3 23:35:28 UTC 2016

> On May 3, 2016, at 6:50 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>
> The problem with the Pi was USB related.  I don't see troubles when using the
> Ethernet, but WiFi hangs occasionally (days).  All the USB WiFi gizmos from
> Adafruit use the same chip.  My guess is that the WiFi chip does something
> strange and the hardware/firmware doesn't handle that case.
>
> I've got a couple of units that use a different chip on order.  That might
> tell me something.

I have 15 Raspberry Pi’s.  I’ve used the original B thru Pi 3, and the “zero".  I’ve had no issues with USB.  I use Gentoo on all my Pi’s.  I use USB for bluetooth, WiFi & as the root partition (USB storage).  I’ve used at least 5 x brands of USB WiFi adapters.  I’ve pretty much standardized on “Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]” as of late, but I’ve used other chip sets (from Amazon for < $10).  I’ve never had any WiFi issues or USB issues.

With regards to WiFi, if I ping a Pi, sometimes 1-3 pings fail, before the WiFi seems to "wake up".  I’ve not been able to track this down to a chipset or USB specific (it happens on the Pi 3, with built-in Broadcom WiFi).  All my scripts that automate things with my Pi’s that are on WiFi, start with a “ping -c 4 -q $host”.  ALWAYS by the 4th ping, the Pi is responding.  With the Ethernet, always by the 2nd ping, the Pi is responding.