Reference clocks.

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue May 3 22:06:58 UTC 2016

> SiRF used to have most of the market but I think uBlox is getting in there
> now.

That's correct, and a good thing because the u-blox is way better than
even the SiRF-III, let alone the execrable IV. Really excellent
weak-signal performance.

Example:

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Receiver-G-mouse-Antenna-Navigation/dp/B017BJ3KTU

>Eric reports that gpsd had nasty troubles with the SiRF-S4 aka Star Vi.

Gary got bit before I did.  The IV's weak-signal sensitivity is very poor, and
the fimware has a bad tendency to lock up when sent any kind of config command.
They seem to have sacrificed every other quality metric to lower power draw.

> It's newer than the -S3 (aka Star III) so I expect the S3 may be impossible
> to get any more.  If you can find one, I'd grab it unless the price is insane.

Get a u-blox instead.  *I* need to have a SiRF-III for test purposes, but that
doesn't mean anyone else does.