Reference clocks.

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue May 3 21:29:58 UTC 2016

gem at rellim.com said:
> Please, no GPS-18s.  The Garmin Binary protocol is a mess and the chip is
> over 10 years old with a weak sensitivity, no GLONASS, etc.  Many better GPS
> LVC solutions.

The GPS-18x is only 5 years old.  1/2 :)  It speaks NMEA so you don't have to
mess with the binary stuff.

The USB versions don't speak NMEA.  I assume they ran out of ROM or such.
But they don't have a PPS so they aren't very interesting so I don't care if
I can talk to them.

Do you have suggestions for better "LVC" gear?

---------

One unit I forgot to mention on my previous message is the Sure demo board.
It has both USB and serial connections.  Power from USB.  No PPS, but you can
wire it up.  Some of the pins are tiny so that wiring requires some skill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKG16A-Bluetooth-RS232-USB-UART-GPS-Module-Demo-Board-
/230844194302

Lots of info here:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm

The same data on USB and serial port allows easy comparison.