Bug: deadlock from msyslog

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Mar 22 06:25:00 UTC 2016

gem at rellim.com said:
> Check out "man 7 signal", almost nothing is legal to call from within a
> signal.  You can't even open() of fopen() anything.  About the best you can
> do is write(STDERR,) and exit().

Right.  I was wondering if there was any software that would check that.

For ntpd, writing to STDERR doesn't work since it's a daemon and has nuked
STDOUT and STDERR.  syslog(3) isn't on the approved list.

The call restrictions mean that you can't longjmp out of a signal unless you
know you were't doing anything dangerous when the signal went off.  After the
jump, you are still in the signal handler.  On the other hand, it mostly
works so all sorts of web pages show you how to do it without mentioning the
restrictions.  In the case of ntpq, it's likely to be doing a DNS lookup.