tg2

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Mar 2 10:25:51 UTC 2016

    Document that tg2.c may need to be rewritten, and is likely obsolete

    The WWV family is gone.
    Use this as a start to attempt a compile:
    gcc -I ../build/ -I ../include/ -I ../libisc/unix/include/ \
        -I ../libisc/include/ tg2.c

tg2 is far from obsolete.  It is actually a useful utility.

It makes various flavors of IRIG which is a popular standard (with many
variations) for sending time info over an audio channel.  It's used on lots
of old gear, like many channel tape recorders collecting data for things like
flight tests.

There is some documentation in a comment at the top of the source code.

There is an IRIG refclock.  We should be able to use headphones to debug tg2
and then use tg2 to debug the IRIG driver, and then use other modes of tg2 to
debug some of the other audio drivers.

I just fixed waf to build tg2 on Linux.  I haven't managed to get any audio
out yet.  It may be a bug in the code.  The audio stuff hasn't been tested
much.  It may be that it is something simple like it needs a few magic
keystrokes on alsamixer.  Or both.  It does make sounds on NetBSD.

If anybody is familiar with audio on Linux, please give it a try and see if
you can figure out how to get sound out.  You can test with a pair of
headphones.

It needs "modprobe snd-pcm-oss" to setup /dev/audio and chmod...

-------

The transmitters for the WWV family are alive.

What is "gone" is high quality receivers for WWVB.  Those are unlikely to
return.  The low price chips used in battery powered clocks are likely to
return in some form.  Or somebody may design a receiver that is reasonable
for hobbyists to build.