Technical strategy and performance

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jun 30 07:52:08 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> In many cases, especially in governmant, they *can't* -- they have lengthy
> certification requirements for new infrastructure components.

If they are on the ball, they will have to do almost as much work to
(re)certification after all the changes we have made.

>> Where would I look to find a crisp statement of the goals of the project?
> On the project website.
> https://www.ntpsec.org/announcement.html
> https://www.ntpsec.org/plans.html

I don't see anything in either page that I would call "crisp".

Yes, there is lots of good stuff.  If you know what the answer is, you can
find lots of supporting info.

The plans are all down in the weeds, details rather than big picture.  The
announcement is background and handwaving.  If I asked you, does "X" fit in
the scope of the project, you can scan the plans to see if you find a match
but if not, good luck trying to figure it out from the announcement.  Take
the memlock discussion.  Is there anything in the announcement that says we
focus on modern systems with lots of memory?