Kernel PPS processing

Matthew Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Thu Jun 30 01:21:06 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:31:32PM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com said:
> > We tested booting with "nohz=off intel_idle.max_cstate=0" and it made a
> > difference in our production clocks.
>
> Interesting.  Thanks.
>
> How did you decide to go there?

The "nohz=off" hint is mentioned in several PTP guides.  "intel_idle.max_cstate=0" is mentioned in low-latency tuning guides and we decided to try it.

> Did you try those 2 changes separately?  Was that with PPS or just a typical
> system?

Yes, I reported on the results in the other reply in this thread.  I have GPS PCIe card that I'm reading via the SHM driver.

> Are you using the kernel from a distro or building your own?

Rolling my own kernel.

Cheers,
-Matt