Use of pool servers reveals unacceptable crash rate in async DNS

Matthew Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Wed Jun 29 03:51:10 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 07:26:39PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>:
> > I think you have extrapolated from some modern systems to our whole target
> > environment.  I don't remember any discussion supporting memlock not being
> > interesting/important.
>
> There were actually two threads about this attached to memlock-related bug
> reports in Classic.  They initially thought memlocking was important, then
> figured out it wasn't.  Matt Selsky has been following those bugs; he and I
> discussed the issue on #ntpsec.

"rlimit memlock 0" using Classic causes ntpd to died after 3 minutes with this error
2016-06-29T00:13:21.903+00:00 host.example.com ntpd[27206]: libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work

I've attached 15 minute graphs for "rlimit memlock -1" and "rlimit memlock 128" using Classic.  Locking memory seems to result in more stable graphs over the time period that I was able to collect quickly.

Cheers,
-Matt