Device driver mode bits and other skulduggery.

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jun 28 22:33:03 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> One thing that jumps out at me is that several drivers have a clockstats
> verbosity option, always flag4 (which, alas, is used for other things too).

There may have been a general idea that flag4 would be used to enable clockstats from an individual driver instance.

That's how refclock_shm uses it.  I'd be happy if you nuked that test, aka always write it.  (If clockstats isn't enabled it won't go anywhere.)

Same for refclock_gpsd

There may be others.  I didn't check the drivers I'm not familiar with.

It's probably not worth a lot of work in this area.

> hpgps:
>    time1: PPS time offset

The HP driver doesn't know anything about PPS.  I assume that is a typo.

> nmea:
>    flag3: clock discipline selection
> pps:
>    flag3: PPS discipline select

I would say "kernel PLL" in there.  "discipline select" doesn't tell me anything.