Use of pool servers reveals unacceptable crash rate in async DNS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jun 27 00:29:47 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
>> Is getaddrinfo_a() in RTEMS?  QNX?   BSD?
> It's not an OS thing, it's a toolchain thing.  getaddrinfo_a() is
> implemented using standard C and POSIX threads, it doesn't need OS-specific
> support.

Or it's in an optional extra library.

> Linux has it because Linux uses libc whether you're compiling with gcc or
> clang.  Any of those other platforms will have it *if* they have (gcc ||
> clang) && glibc.

My Linux man page says:
       #define _GNU_SOURCE         /* See feature_test_macros(7) */
       Link with -lanl.

I couldn't find it in /usr/include/ on NetBSD or FreeBSD.  On Linux, it's in
netdb.h.

If it uses threads, we still have the problem of not being able to load the
thread cleanup code.