My first positive structural change to NTP

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jun 26 09:50:08 UTC 2016

Stromeko at nexgo.de said:
> I think that's still perpetuating a mistake.  This whole business of having
> to specify two servers (or refclocks) for the same thing should go away.

There is a fundamental issue.  With a PPS, there really are two sources of
time.  Internally, ntpd needs two different handles so you can see both sets
of info on ntpq -peers and clockstats.

Normally, each PPS has an associated serial stream.  It would be good if
there were a clean way to specify that rather than using the prefer kludge.

Stromeko at nexgo.de said:
> It's easy enough these days to tell udev what each device should be named,
> so in principle there wouldn't even be a need to use anything but the
> default names.

Is there a udev equivalent on other OSes?

I don't think it is necessary.  A boot time script can setup symbolic links.