ModMyPi case - Now I've seen it, I don't like it

Frank Nicholas frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com
Sun Jun 19 22:09:13 UTC 2016

> On Jun 18, 2016, at 8:22 AM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
>
> (Memo to self: Aaarrggh!  Get heatsinks for all machines!)

This really isn’t needed.  Design limits are 70C on the low end (Raspberry Pi FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions <https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#performanceOperatingTemperature>).

I’ve had a Raspberry Pi (B, B+, 2 & 3) outside on our deck porch, in a fully enclosed case, no air flow, in 95F+, and internal temperature was fine when compiling software for Gentoo, with the load > number of cores.  Working the GPU, with video out or using the camera interface for H.264 encoding added a more heat, but it was still well within design limits.

Temperature can officially be monitored with this command:
`/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp`

Or more simply, divide `cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp` by 1000 for the temperature in celsius.