Design proposal for a better ACL language

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 20:28:06 UTC 2016

It is possible to write an iptables kernel loadable module that can do
application level filtering, and the ntp packet format even lends itself to
it.

However, we will not go down that route.  It would be Linux-only, it would
be outside of our remit and outside of our current hot skill-set, it would
be yet another moving part, it would be difficult to package, and difficult
to get many installations to install, as they get very strict about which
KLMs they will install, and all for very little if any performance increase.

We will put the ntp application level packet filter in user space in the
ntpsec implementation, not in the kernel.

..m