Test farm news

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Jun 14 18:44:05 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 14:20:32 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> > And none of this will do you any good until you wait another 7
> > days.  If you had turned on logging last week you would have the
> > data to look at now.
>
> There were good reasons I didn't.  Verifying a configuration that is
> as simple and readily understandable as possible took priority.

I'm still waiting for the good reason.  You can't ask the user to
pick good offsets when he does not have the data for it.

AFAIK there has been universal agreement that your
'use-performance-logging' logging is good.  It should be the default, no
further thinking required.

You might want to put the snippets someehere other than /etc/  Maybe
/etc/ntd.d or similar?

> What's magic about 7 days, anyway?

I am seeing what I assume to be sideral effects on a 24 hour cycle.
Overlaid on that is a day or two of startup settling, and obvious
room temperature effects.  I have trouble telling the apart with 4
days or less data.