refclock 28 gone wacky on me

Frank Nicholas frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com
Fri Jun 10 00:36:24 UTC 2016

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 8:27 PM, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:
>
> Clockmaker is not even released, much less widely tested.  9600 baud
> is the default speed for the Adafruit and Uputronics HATs and as
> we are still characterizing those we can not yet know if that is a good
> speed for those yet.

I can tell you from experience, that with the Adafruit hat, and the default sentences, 9600 baud is not fast enough.  Some periodic sentences (period > few seconds) will push a cycle past one (1) second.  Even when used with PPS, eventually it will eventually be marked as a false ticker.

When this was my main NTP server on a Pi, I turned off all the sentences, except the ones I wanted, to avoid this issue.

Thanks,
Frank