State of the microserver HOWTO

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Jun 8 18:46:32 UTC 2016

Yo Frank!

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 09:54:54 -0400
Frank Nicholas <frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com> wrote:

> > On Jun 7, 2016, at 8:34 PM, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yo Hal!
> >
> > I agree with Hal, my descriptions are a bit long and picky for
> > the newbie howto.  Get that done, then these issues will get
> > addressed in due time.
>
> Please don’t remove the detail on the existing conf you are throwing
> around - the details are valuable and some might make use of them
> (me).

I did not remove anything, I coded that from a blank file.  :-)

> However, this config might be too “fancy” for a newbie how to.  If
> some think the recommended config should be simpler, maybe keep this
> good, “fancy”, detailed config as an example for what’s possible if
> people want to dig deeper.

Yup, agreed.  I never intended this to replace the basic ntp.conf.

OTOH, some things, like the pool comments, should be in the basic
config.  Giving people in the USA a default config that send them to
pool servers on the other side of the planet is a bad thing.

Yes, I know the doc says otherwise, but I just tested the pool and it
gave me a chimer in Switzerland, German, Czech Republic and one in New
Jersey.

No wonder the pool ha a bad rep.