microserver HOWTO timeservice patch

Frank Nicholas frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com
Wed Jun 8 18:18:05 UTC 2016

> On Jun 8, 2016, at 2:13 PM, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:
>

> +		# Make sure the UART device is in a good state
> +		stty -F /dev/gpsd0 raw 9600 cs8 clocal -cstopb
>
> This assumes the GPS is at 9600 baud, I usually up the speed for better
> performance, 9600 is marginal.
>
> I'd just remove the stty totally, let gpsd do its job and auto baud.

The ‘stty’ line above is from Adafruit’s “how to” page.  For the chip on the Adafruit Hat, the above ‘stty’ is REQUIRED (not necessarily the speed)), or you will not get reliable output from a ‘cat’ statement.

I fought with logic level converters for days (weeks?) until I realized that I had to properly set the device with ‘stty’ to get sane tty output. I was trying to fix hardware, when it was the hardware...

Thanks,
Frank