State of the microserver HOWTO

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jun 8 00:21:50 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> My plan was to encourage you to elaborate - *and explain* - your favorite
> odd features for your local config, then work with you to prune it back to
> someting we might ship.

You are letting Gary suck you down ratholes.

I think you need to think hard about what your goals are and make sure they
are correctly and fully described in the first paragraph to two.

That will help the rest of us provide appropriate feedback.

Are you trying to setup a good-enough server that requires minimal knowledge
and minimal care?  (Even that requires some sysadmin attention to track
updates.  That should probably be included on the security area.)

Are you trying to setup a server appropriate for the pool?

Are you trying to setup a server for geeks to play with?  (lots of logging
and stats)

What level of geeky detail do you want to dicsuss?  The ARP timeout is a good example.