State of the microserver HOWTO

Mike bellyacres at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 22:35:13 UTC 2016

On 06/07/2016 04:47 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo Mike!
>
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 16:27:45 -0400
> Mike <bellyacres at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you do ship the one supplied now I just found one thing that will
>> need a fix.
>>
>> # Drift file etc.
>> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
>>
>> Ntpd is running as user nobody, whom can't write to that directory.
> Gack, confirmed.  And it is worse.  I made that directory owned
> by nobody, mode 755.  Same problem.  Then I tried mode 777, same
> problem.
>
> There was an error in the logs from when the directory did not exist.
>
> That would explain some of my startup glitching.
>
> I opened a bug:
>
> https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/issues/76

Gary,

I'm not seeing that once I set the ownership to nobody.

mike at 3142:/var/lib/ntp $ ls -al
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  2 nobody root    4096 Jun  7 18:13 .
drwxr-xr-x 31 root   root    4096 Jun  4 22:51 ..
-rw-------  1 nobody nogroup    8 Jun  7 18:13 ntp.drift
mike at 3142:/var/lib/ntp $

mike at 3142:/var/lib/ntp $ ntpq --version
ntpd 0.9.4-44652aa Jun  5 2016 02:26:08

Ntpd writes the drift file and no errors are logged.

Mike