State of the microserver HOWTO

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Jun 7 12:37:07 UTC 2016

Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> > Assume I've never read that list, or anything else about NTP other
> > than the HOWTO itself.  Remember who we're teaching!
>
> You want me to do all the work?!?  You're the writer.  :-)

Yes, which is why I know how error-prone and crazy-making for both of
us it would be to do this by micropatching.  Trust me, I'll be doing plenty
of work, some of which you won't be positioned to notice.

> > Complete config with improved header comment, please.  Having me edit
> > in stuff every time someone needs to correct or amplify an explanation
> > will not scale and *will* drive me bugfuck crazy.
>
> See below.  Not sure what you want in the header.

Well, to start with, something like:

"This configuration uses the shared-memory refclock (28), which is assumed
to have gpsd on the other end.  Unit 0 is the in-band data, Unit 1 the PPS."

Then explain the ordering to avoid startup glitch and the ARP problem, noting
that these are arguably due to bugs and the startup glitch should be fixed in
a future release.

What is mode 16 doing?  What are flag1 and flag2 doing?
How was the 0.450 fudge derived?