State of the test farm

Mike bellyacres at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 01:24:55 UTC 2016

On 06/06/2016 08:56 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Mike <bellyacres at gmail.com>:
>> On 06/06/2016 05:53 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>>> Except for the rack, I think the buildout is done at this point - at least
>>> until we get a BeagleBone cape to work with
>> Is there such a cape available publicly?  That would be very interesting to
>> me if it's a true cape with an eeprom
>> so it can be configured easily.
> There's only one I know of - made in India, of all places, and
> expensive enough counting international shipping to pretty much
> disqualify from the HOWTO. Dunno how confiugurable it is.
>
> The BeagleBone people are interested in working with us to do something better,
> or at leas more cost-effective.

Cost-effective would be nice!

I'm considering getting a cape prototype board from sparkfun, then just
put a module on it.  It would be an ugly piece, but better than the
module that dangles by wires now.

By configuration I really meant, one could write a fairly simple overlay
file that would load on boot.  Basically automagically with the eeprom
on the cape to identify it.  The UART overlay files are all shipped
standard now, one still needs to write one for the gpio-pps.  Not all
that hard, the cape just makes it easier...

Mike