State of the microserver HOWTO

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Jun 6 23:37:08 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 19:27:52 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> At the moment it uses gpsd via the SHM channel and three named public
> timservers.  I'm told the latter is bad practice and should be got
> rid of.

Not bad.  A good start, but sub-optimal.  First escalate to the pool
for your country.  Then escalate to some good local chimers.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good enough.

> Please send me configurations.

See below.

# My RasPi 2/Adafruit HAT config.

# we want stats
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

logfile /var/log/ntpd.log
logconfig =syncall +clockall +peerall +sysall

# we want some security
restrict default nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0
restrict 204.17.205.0 mask 255.255.255.0
restrict -6 [2001:470:e815::]/64
restrict -6 ::1

# PPS is first, to minimize ntpd startup glitches
# SHM for PPS and gpsd
server 127.127.28.1 prefer minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.28.1 refid PPS

# My other local chimers
# maxpoll 5 to avoid ARP delays every cycle
peer 204.17.205.1 maxpoll 5
peer 204.17.205.8 maxpoll 5
peer 204.17.205.23 maxpoll 5
peer 204.17.205.27 maxpoll 5
peer 204.17.205.30 maxpoll 5

# NMEA is last, to minimize ntpd startup glitches
# SHM for gpsd
server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 0.450  refid GPS