My pre-1.0 wishlist

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jun 4 07:01:49 UTC 2016

Nice.  Thanks.

I'm assuming that the major decision on what we call 1.0 will be political,
aka Mark's call.

An item I would put on the list would be a written recipe/checklist for how
to do a release.  I think when we get into "real" releases, that recipe will
need several branches:
  one for minor releases
  one for major releases
  one for bug fixes and security patches.

It would be nice to have a list of configurations that are known to work,
including refclocks.

-----------

> 1. End-to-end test automation

I think there are 2 branches to this.  One is automation in the sense of
TESTFRAME.  The other is automation in the sense of it's running and we
automate watching it.

dfoxfranke at gmail.com said:
> At our F2F we committed to eventually removing saveconfig and client-side
> broadcast mode

saveconfig defaults to not enabled.  You have to ask for it.

What is the reasoning behind removing client side broadcasting?

> 6. An NTP Classic -> NTPsec migration guide

That will mostly be a list of features we have removed.  If you don't use
those features, migration is as simple as changing the file name of the
program you run in the start/stop scripts and/or installing the one you want
to run on top of the old one.

It's probably a bit more complicated than that.  I'm not sure that ntpdig is
a full replacement for ntpdate.

> We've been talking for a long time about replacing the 'restrict' directive
> and all the language around what keys have what authorizations with
> something sane. We should get this done before 1.0.

I could vote for deferring that as long as possible to maintain compatibility
at the ntp.conf level.  But if it's a serious cleanup, then we should do it
whenever it's convenient for us and our users.