GR-701W hangs on Pi-3

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Fri Jun 3 19:51:26 UTC 2016

Gary E. Miller writes:
> Yeah, it is the Pi3 that is causing people problems.

I'm not having a 3 yet, but at least on average the power consumption is
not much higher, looking at the various published measurements.  The
reported problems likely are related to higher or faster transients and
I'm wondering if just adding a reasonably sized solid electrolyte cap to
the headers would resolve that issue.  However, it's apparently
expecting a 5.1V input, so you can't just use any USB charger.

> The Pi has an onboard regulator, I wonder if we could just feed it 9V?

I've not looked at schematics, but I seriously doubt it.  Also, I don't
think you'd be able to use the USB and the 5V on the header anymore,
AFAIK they are straight wired to the power input (i.e. no separate 5V
regulator on board and the FAQ seems to corroborate it by warning that
6V input could already destroy the Pi).  There are USB PSU however that
can be regulated to max out the allowed voltage headroom (officially
5.5V, but some can be set as high as 6.2V -- heed the warning given in
the FAQ).

Regards,
Achim.