Removing the worst cruft

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Jul 24 11:35:48 UTC 2016

Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> > Yes.  But there's still the issue that the IRIG driver I removed was
> > designed to handle analog input via an obsolete class of sound card.
>
> Yeah, a driver that does that should be shot.  Just don't count out
> IRIG as a source.

Right. If we were ever to decide we have a requirement to take in IRIG, we
would have to *write a new driver*.  The presence or absence of the old
driver *would not change this*; there are multiple reasons it is
*disqualified* for use in the scenario you described.

Sigh...next time something like this comes up, please try to avoid causing
unnecessary panic. Especially the day before I go on vacation.