Removing the worst cruft

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jul 24 02:05:50 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> But AUSTRON/IRIG/CHU...I think there's a good (though not absolutely
> dispositive) case for simply dropping them all.

The Austron driver uses Loran.   It was unplugged in the US several years
ago.  I think it's still used in Northern Europe.  It may come back in the US
as a backup for GPS.

--------

Is this a good time to setup a procedure for second class refclocks?  Or
think about how to do it?

I haven't given this a lot of thought.  The idea is to make it easy to add
drivers for hardware we don't support directly.

I think there are two things we would have to do.  One is keep track of
names.  The other is to setup and document a recipe for adding a driver.

Handwave.  My straw man is that the keep-track of numbers part means that we
maintain everything but the code and documentation for a driver.  I think
that's just a table entry in pylib/refclock.py and another in
ntpd/refclock_conf.c  It would be nice to teach waf to make man/web pages for
optional drivers.

It's possible that some git magic would simplify most of that, but I don't
know how to do it.  Maybe we just maintain a comment that git can replace.  ??

If you use dumbclock as an example, I'll adopt the IRIG driver as a sanity
check.

--------

How many of the current drivers can we test?  Maybe we should move all the
others to second class status.

We need a web page with a status slot for each driver.

We should pick one driver to use as an example.  Simpler is better.

If you do dump drivers that have survived this far, I think it would be
better to move them to another git repository where they are still visible
but don't clutter up our main world.

Plan B is to not waste time on any of that and save our energy for the great
SHM cleanup, or whatever.