Anybody know how to debug things like this?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jul 16 18:47:42 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> I'm in favor of cleaning up and fixing some of these order dependencies, but
> I'd rather get us to a safe and functioning state first.  Accordingly,
> splitting out seccomp() implementation to do it early and keeping droproot
> late is looking better and better.

I found another case that doesn't work with early drop root:  opening the
first 2 SHM slots.

I'll add an option to use early drop root and push what I have.

--------

When it gets to the top of the list, we should cleanup the SHM handshake.  If
we make the handshake use 2 counters rather than a ready flag, the read side
can be read-only and this sort of problem will go away.  That lets us have
multiple users so we can run debugging/monitoring code in parallel with ntpd.
 That will either take a command line switch to gpsd or it will have to setup
duplicate SHM slots (with different names).