Anybody know how to debug things like this?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jul 15 11:40:29 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> The only safe alternative would be to force the initial DNS lookups to be
> synchronous.

That doesn't work for the pool case.  It wants to get more servers if some of
the ones it is using stop responding.

> A: get configuration (that's the early thread launch)

We could split the DNS lookups out of that.  It would add a new step to your
list.

> E. initializing = false
> Moving F and B is no problem, but the others worry me - especially the
> setting of initialize, which does things I don't understand to the protocol
> machine.  My spider sense is tingling.

The DNS lookups may take a long time, so starting them a bit later should be
OK.

It wouldn't surprise me if we discovered problems.  That's a mixed blessing.
Finding problems is always good, but we would also have to to fix them.

--------

I've found 2 more quirks associated with early sandbox.

The PID file needs to be writable by ntp.  That should be easy to fix - just
some scripting before starting ntpd.  systemd doesn't have that scripting,
but it doesn't use a pid file.

The other is that NetBSD won't let ntp open wildcard sockets.  It may be
sockets with port# less that 1024.  I don't have a solution but I haven't
looked very hard.