Zero-configuration ntpd

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Jul 3 21:55:22 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 14:06:24 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > Default for statistics can be no stats gathering.
> > Agreed.  They just grow forever.  Ditto ntp.log that should default
> > to the system syslog.
>
> The main log file does default to syslog

Yup.  I assume we both agree that is best?

> > Off-topic: ntpd should have a max number of saved logs.
>
> The default is no log files.  I don't think ntpd should get involved
> with deleting anything.  If nothing else, it's an insecurity
> opportunity.  Debian has a cron job to do it.  (I have to kill it
> since I want them saved forever.)

Interessting.  Gentoo has no such thing.

I don't see how rotating its own logs is a problem, but I can go
with the paranoia and agree to a cron job.

If so, I'd like to see a standard cron job in the official tarball.
Trusting the user, or distro, to get it right is also a security
risk.  Maybe even some config files for common log rollers, like
logger.

In providing same we also warn people not to do the obvious and just
restart ntpd with their log roller, which does bad things...