Zero-configuration ntpd

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jul 3 18:36:05 UTC 2016

> Default servers should be the global NTP pool.

In general, it's a very bad idea to wire names or addresses into code,
especially if you don't own/control the resource being used.  This case is
less-bad than many others since it is possible (maybe even easy) to
change/fix.

The problem is that you need an exit strategy.  What are you going to do if
your usage puts too much load on the pool (or it's DNS servers) or the pool
goes out of business?

You could make it a build time option so each distro could set things up to
use their NTP servers.  But they can already do that with a config file.
Wiring in a default seems too complicated.

You might be able to pick up some servers via DHCP.  That probably belongs in
the startup scripts rather than in ntpd itself.

> Default for statistics can be no stats gathering.

That's the current default.

> There is currently no default drift file location.  This is where I am not
> sure of my ground - should there be one?  If not, why not?

It will work without one.  It should be a bit slower to get started.  We
should test that case.