Zero-configuration ntpd

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Jul 3 11:51:49 UTC 2016

I think ntpd should choose sane defaults and be able to run without
an ntp.conf.  Just because that's good hygiene for every program.

Default servers should be the global NTP pool.

Default for statistics can be no stats gathering.

Default restrictions can be none.  Suboptimal, but we expect this to
change when and if Daniel's restriction redesign lands.

There is currently no default drift file location.  This is where
I am not sure of my ground - should there be one?  If not, why not?