Avoiding merge bubbles

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Jul 2 23:06:15 UTC 2016

> Thanks.  I hate that crap as much as anybody.
>
> > git pull --rebase
>
> I missed the --rebase part.
>
> Is there any way to set things up so --rebase is the default with pull?

Yes.  If you look in your .git/config, adding the "rebase = true" line will
set --rebase for all pulls from master.

[branch "master"]
	remote = origin
	merge = refs/heads/master
	rebase = true

> Is there any way to recover after I forget?

Not short of repository surgery.  Remember the hash chain - git is actually
designed to make it difficult to modify old commits.

> Can we fix the push process to reject pushes if they have that type of
> comment?

Theoretically possible, but probably a bad idea.  We will probably have to
do real branch merges occasionally.