Is Python2.5 a dependency

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jan 20 04:30:41 UTC 2016

>> It's worth pointing out that Python is only required on the build machine.
> Only for waf ?  Or does something else require it as well in the build?

waf needs it.

I poked around a bit and didn't find anyplace other than waf where python is
used.  On the other hand, we have mantioned reworking ntpq or writing
something like it to use json and python.

"required" is an interesting term.  I consider ntpd to be the only required
program.  It's common for some init scripts to use ntpdate.  I think ntpd has
enough options to cover all those use cases but the details haven't been
worked out.  So ntpfrob might be required too, and/or maybe a few scripts
like ntp-wait.

The other stuff in there ranges from really useful, like ntpq, to something
that somebody thought was useful a long time ago.  You can run ntpq on
another machine, so it isn't really required on the target system.