proposed policy change, new contributors use gitlab merge requests, not direct pushes

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jan 19 23:06:35 UTC 2016

fallenpegasus at gmail.com said:
> I am proposing instituting a project policy change, to generally not grant
> write/push access to the main gitlab repo to any additional contributors.

> Instead, we will ask contributors to open a gitlab merge request with their
> change, and then members of the existing core team will review their merge
> request and act on it.

Seems fine to me.  I think there may be some fine print to work out.

I think there is some way to tell git to grab a patch and make it look like
it was submitted by the author.  We need to document that recipe.

Is there a simple way I can pull the changes locally to try them out?  Again,
we need documentation.

It may take a mailing list to get somebody to look for changes that need
checking.