NTPsec on OpenSwitch

Srivatsan, Srinivasan srinivasan.srivatsan at hpe.com
Tue Jan 5 21:26:46 UTC 2016

Thanks Hal and Eric. I was experimenting with ntpq and found it useful as you said it would.

Progress updates:
* I have created a NTPsec docker image so that anyone can start playing with it. Its available at https://hub.docker.com/r/srinsriv/ntp/. Steps on how to use it available in the website.
* I also have a partially working NTPsec recipe. Here’s the review in process for that. https://review.openswitch.net/#/c/2991/
* I tried playing with ntpq and have a few things like configuration and statistics sorted out but have some doubts which I’ve listed below.

Non-technical points:
* What is the license which you guys have for using and distributing NTPsec ? I saw this page (https://www.ntpsec.org/license.html). Is this the final license list for NTPsec usage and distribution ?

I am stuck at a few technical points here:
*  I have enabled a control key but was unable to configure a server through a single ntpq command because it keeps on asking for keyid and password for configuration through ntpq. But it would be helpful to add a server with a single ntpq command with all the options on it, including the keyid and password. Have you used it this way ?
*  I see that the password is set using 'crypto pw’ and its all plain text. Is there a way to save the password differently or configure the password during runtime ?
*  Could you share the configuration and commands which you used for your tests ?
*  I have not tested authentication scenario, what is the server configuration which you used for testing authentication.
* One major issue I see when enabling the NTPsec recipe with my build process is when doing the “waf configure” step it fails. I see it internally calls a configuration script to check the compiler. For checking the compiler it generates a C file, compiles it and tries to execute to find get a specific value from the executable. Currently I see it fail at the last step, because it fails to execute the generated executable with “No such file or directory”. I’ve posted the build/config.log file and ldd,readelf,objdump for the testbuild/testprog which is created in this process. Could you please provide pointers on how to fix this. Link to paste bin: http://pastebin.com/raw/AJBMpqsb

Thanks
Srinivasan