asciidoc tables - column widths

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jan 3 07:37:12 UTC 2016

Many of the tables in decode.html are hard to read.  I just hacked things a
bit, but I can't find a way to say what I want.  I can set the width of the
whole table as a fraction of the window and each column as a fraction of the
table width.

But I have no idea how wide the user has setup their window for the web page.
 Expressing things in fractions is good most of the time, but this seems to
be one of the nasty examples.  With a reasonable width window, the table only
needs a small fraction of the window.  But if the window is narrower, the
table needs the full width.

Is there any way to tell asciidoc to make this column wide enough to hold the
longest text in this column?

I'd be willing to describe widths in characters if that will help.