An ontology of clocks

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Feb 22 11:16:54 UTC 2016

dfoxfranke at gmail.com said:
> I've seen "precision" used both ways by different authors, but I think
> you're right that resolution is a better choice of terminology because it
> avoids that ambiguity.

A good glossary would be a big help.

gem at rellim.com said:
>     "Precision is the random uncertainty of a measured value, expressed
>     by the standard deviation or by a multiple of the standard
>     deviation."

I can't figure out what that means.

I think it's something different than the simple digital sort of things that
Daniel has been discussing.  Standard deviation makes me think that it's
interested in the noise of capturing a PPS signal.  If you look carefully,
you might get a bell curve or something like it, probably not symmetric.