An ontology of clocks

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Feb 19 23:19:01 UTC 2016

Yo Daniel!

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 18:12:52 -0500
Daniel Franke <dfoxfranke at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/19/16, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:
> > No, resolution is the smallest time increment a clock can represent.
> > Precision is a measure of the quality of the clock time.
>
> I've seen "precision" used both ways by different authors, but I think
> you're right that resolution is a better choice of terminology because
> it avoids that ambiguity.

Yes, people get sloppy, but since we are on the ntpsec mailing list we
should prolly to stick to the NTP definitions.

According to ntp.org:

    http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-sw-clocks-quality.htm

    "The smallest possible increase of time the clock model allows is
    called resolution."

    "Precision is the random uncertainty of a measured value, expressed
    by the standard deviation or by a multiple of the standard
    deviation."

    "Accuracy is the closeness of the agreement between the result of a
    measurement and a true value of the measurand."