Real World Crypto conference

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 12:10:23 UTC 2016

Interesting!

I had a conversation with some of the CPU firmware developers on IBM POWER
here at LCA2016 a few days ago, and they also are running into the "how to
get cert crypto before the time is set, vs-and how to get the time set in a
trustworthy manner" issue.

An idea that is being floated is an extension to UEFI and equivalents to
allow admins to set or pin a cert, a signing cert, or a psk, that will be
used by a trusted time source.  But people are waiting on the release and
stabilization of the new secure ntp standard(s) before having UEFI et al
start pushing it.

Another idea is to be pushing time around on the BMC-connected management
network, and let the BMC set the motherboard clock before the main CPU
boots.  This will require a trusted and secured ntp client running on the
BMC.

Other ideas are to let the L2/L3 switches try to keep accurate time, and to
raise alarms if they ever see an NTP packet heading towards a machine in
early boot stage with a time field that is too incorrect.

..m